Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Aurifil Designer of the Month

Along with my business partner at Nine Patch Media - Elizabeth Phillips - I've put on a lot of miles this year. Since my last post we have been to the APWQ Quilt Show in Tacoma where the Roses of Remembrance quilt won anHonourable Mention Award, a two week tour to China with 30 other enthusiastic travelers, Houston, for the annual International Quilt Market & Festival,  and on my own I spent 5 busy days teaching in Florida. Even listing it all make me tired. 

Standing in front of our Roses of Remembrance quilt, Barbara Shapel (who quilted it) and I are proudly showing off our Honorable Mention ribbon. By the way, the amazing quilt I'm holding is a miniature version of the quilt behind me. It was made by Ellen Palmer from West Virginia and her blocks are only 4" square. 

And, that's not all. We have been working on another Rose of Sharon book which means designing and making lots more quilts - but we can't share the pictures because it all has to be kept under wraps until the book is released. Trust me though, you're going to love it. 

Not only that but I hope you have been watching The Quilt Show Daily Blog and noticed that I have been 'showing up' on it quite frequently - we plan to film more segments this month so keep watching. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is - even though I seem to have been uncommunicative here, it hasn't all been lying around eating chocolates and reading trashy novels. (Although I have to admit there has been a bit of that this month.) 

Of course you know that I wouldn't have it any other way. I love making quilts and teaching others to make them. I love writing books about quilting, and I love showing how all the new toys make it faster and easier. At Quilt Market in Houston I got to introduce my new Rose of Sharon die - along with the first RoS die you can now cut 9 of the blossoms, 5 of t he leaves, and all four of the circles. Of course this makes tackling a Rose of Sharon type quilt much more appealing. 

Other exciting news from Nine Patch Media includes our new association with Lyn Kenny from Australia. Lyn is an extraordinary machine embroiderer and digitizer and we have collaborated with her to produce two new embroidery collections - Midnight Roses and Traditions. You must visit Lyn's website to see her other exciting designs - they have given us so many ideas for projects my 'to do' list has grown enormously. Please understand my 'to do' list contains the things I really want 'to do'.



And, last but not least,  this month I have the honour of being the Aurifil Designer of the Month and I hope you'll take advantage of the free pattern - and use it to become eligible to win the wonderful prize Aurifil offers if you post a picture of it. There has been a virtual parade of talented designers - one a month - who have all offered free patterns for your pleasure. Check out their websites also and enjoy using all ideas that have been provided. 

http://auribuzz.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/december-aurifil-designer-of-the-month/



I'm off to get all the Christmas decorations out and put up - this year I have two new ones to add to the collection - the first is the Aurifil Christmas Tree (free pattern provided) and the second one is a cute little wreath made with some of my wonderful Island Batik fabrics. The instructions were provided by Island Batik and I know they are happy to have me share them with you. 




First, cut 3" squares of green and red batik fabrics with pinking shears or the pinking blade on your rotary cutter. Using a pocket screwdriver (or the tool you use to poke out corners - something that won't puncture the fabric) center one fabric piece on the end of the screwdriver, and push it about 3/4" into a straw wreath - don't worry if you aren't 'exactly' in the center of the fabric - I even used pieces that weren't square. Cover one full side until no straw is showing. I used three different greens and one red batik. I'm sure it would look good with any combination of fabrics - so here's a great opportunity to use up those scraps of batik you've been saving. 

With best wishes for a happy holiday season and a prosperous, healthy, and happy New Year. 

8 comments:

  1. Love the fabric wreath. So glad I found your blog...love aurifil thread! Looking forward to your next post! Holley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wreath. I think I will give this a try. Thanks! I have a blog

    www.sewhappy10000.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great web blog . I like this blog because of its design and interface. Private Tutor Ocala It is user friendly and it is nice to visit the blog.

    ReplyDelete